Hellenic Air Force organizes the official retirement ceremony for A-7 Corsairs after 39 years of service in greek skies and 49 years of life since HAF is the last user of the type. The celebration is open for the public and since a lot of you are interested in visiting Greece for the event we have collected some interesting information trying to answer frequent questions. A Spotters' Day will also be organized on Thursday October 26th so charge your cameras!!!
THE RETIREMENT CEREMONY
The ceremony is taking place on 17th of October 2014 in 116 Combat Wing, Araxos AB.
HAF A-7 Retirement Ceremony Schedule
Friday, October 17th 2014
- 09:30-10:15 Public– Journalists Arrival
- 11:00 Honoree Arrival
- 11:02 Mass
- 11:12 Roll Call of the Fallen – A minute of silence
- 11:15 336SQ Officer speech
- 11:25 Revealing of a specially painted A-7
- 11:27 Α-7 Veteran Pilot speech
- 11:32 Chief of Hellenic Air Force General Staff salutation
- 11:40 End of Ceremony
- 11:45 Air Show
- 13:30 Departure
- 11:50 Α-7 formation (Low Apex Attack)
- 11:51 Τ-6 Solo display (Daedalus Team)
- 12:07 Α-7 formation fly past
- 12:08 F-16 Solo display (Zeus Team)
- 12:23 Mixed Fighter formation fly past (A-7, F-4, M2000, F-16)
- 12:24 Aircraft landings
SPOTTERS DAY (October 16th 2014)
A Spotters Day will be organized closely to the Retirement Ceremony. Actually one day before , Thursday, October 16th.
SPOTTΕR’S DAY EVENTS
- 07:30 - 08:30 Journalists and spotters Arrival
- 10:00 Step of the first flight (3xA-7)
- 11:00 - 12:00 Takeoff - Landing
- 13:00 Step of the second flight (3xA-7)
- 14:00 - 15:00 Takeoff - Landing
- 15:00 Journalists and spotters Departure
Instructions to journalists and spotters
Araxos AFB Gate
1. At Araxos AFB gate you have to provide the proof of identification you have stated in your request.
2. You will be asked to park your car in a space near the gate. You will be transferred to the 336 squadron by bus.
Canteen Souvenirs / Taxi, takeoff and landing / Parked and retired A-7
3. At Araxos AFB gate you have to provide the proof of identification you have stated in your request.
4. You will be asked to park your car in a space near the gate. You will be transferred to the 336 squadron by bus.
5. On the premises of 336Sqn there will be designated areas, from where you can photograph aircraft during taxiing, takeoff and landing, as well as A-7s that are already retired.
6. For your safety and in order to get the best photo opportunities, please comply with the instructions of the uniformed personnel monitoring the area.
7. The security clearance you will get at the gate will be also used for your entrance at Araxos AFB the next day, if you are attending the retirement ceremony.
The official retirement patches designed for 336 Squadron by Mauro Roder.
TRANSPORTATION TO ARAXOS
You can visit Araxos Air Base on the day of Retirement ceremony, Friday October 17th by bus especially scheduled route for this day with local bus organization (ktelachaias.gr). The connection between Patras and Araxos will be as follows:
- Patras - Araxos 09.15
- Araxos - Patras 13.30
In case more than one bus is needed that will be covered on demand. Please make sure that you will get to Patras bus station earlier on Friday morning to get your ticket to Araxos Air base.
TRAVEL TO GREECE
You can travel by airplane to Greece either towards El. Venizelos airport or Araxos airport. You can also come to Greece form Italy on boat towards Patras port. If you want to combine your trip to Araxos with a nice visit to the beautiful greek islands or Athens then we propose to browse the Visit-Greece web-site to organize your route there.
WHERE TO STAY
The biggest city near Araxos AB is Patras (click for map) which is about 45 minutes from Araxos AB. We propose to book your hotel in city of Patras where there are plenty of hotels to check in. Please take a look at a list of Patras' hotels here. Of course there are plenty of options in near the sea towns between Patras and Araxos AB (Lakkopetra, Niforeika, Kaminia, Vrachneika, Kato Achaia).
The Hellenic Air Force A-7s might be retired in 10 days but always remember: "Once a Corsair... Always a Corsair" pic.twitter.com/DQbZyx75j4— Air Force . gr (@wwwairforcegr) October 8, 2014